Monday, July 12, 2010

Home for a little over a week

On the one hand it seems hard to believe that it's been only 10 days that we've been home and on the other hand it seems like we've been home for a lot longer than that.  It is strange and unreal to look back and think we spent two weeks in China!  I would've never thought I would end up there in my lifetime.

Marisa is slowly adjusting.  She is doing better each day with Ron and I.  We knew it would be more difficult to adopt a toddler and we read about it but until you live it, you can't really know what it is going to be like.  I can understand why it's so important to limit visitors and activities in these first weeks that we're home.  Last week I think we had too many new people stopping by to see Marisa and too many new situations.  Marisa seems to do fine when people are visiting but it's later at night that she then can't seem to settle down and be comforted.  She'd wake up screaming every hour, or less, and it was really difficult to calm her down, if we even could - sometimes nothing worked.  Plus last week we also had to go to Riley Children's Hospital to check up on her PKU and learn a little more about what we are to do with her diet.  It was a 4 hour appointment and that doesn't count the long drive down to Indianapolis and back.  We met with a nurse, two dieticians, the doctor, and then Marisa had to have 5 vials of blood drawn.  So the day was a very stressful day for her.

This weekend we played it really low key.  Ron did have to work till early afternoon on Saturday but otherwise it was just a family day the rest of Saturday and all of Sunday.  Sunday was such a good day for us and the night was better.  Marisa would still wake up but without the screaming.  It was something we needed and continue to need is that family time with just the three of us so we can figure out who we are as a family.  I'm still figuring out our routine during the day so it's very nice for it to be just Marisa and I.  Plus we are limiting our usual activities and not attending everything just so Marisa isn't overwhelmed by it all.  With neither Marisa or I getting much sleep at night, it is helpful to keep our days low key and be able to put her down for a nap.  I know family and friends are very anxious about meeting or spending more time with Marisa but it will happen.  It just can't happen in these first several weeks.  We would just really appreciate everyone's patience and understanding as we continue to get to know our daughter and her needs.  We want only what is best for her.  There will be lots of time for family and friends in the months to come.  It's not like anyone is missing out on much right now with her.  We need that alone time with her so we don't miss out on anything with her and can continue to build that attachment to her and her with us.  That is just so important and it's not something that's going to happen in a few days or weeks.

We continue to ask for prayers as we all make the adjustment to our new life.  And please be patient with our decisions as we try to make the needed adjustments in our life. 

1 comment:

Cheri said...

Congrats on being home! We are headed to China here in a month to bring our little angle home from the Guangdong province. Would you happen to like to swap quilt squares? I am in need of quite a few and could also send you one if you need some. You can follow our blog at:

Email me at:
Cheri Lail